Monday 10 June 2013

Hayfield and the Secret Swimming Pool.

This week we went north again to Hayfield to have a look around the village. We went in Robs car and it took just over an hour, parking up just after 07:00. We had a general wander around and found a lovely little memorial garden with a plaque to 4 children that had tragically died. We went up Kinder Road and found the village shops that are in BBC's "The Village" and then the highlight for Geoff was the house where Arthur Lowe of Dads Army fame lived. After a bit more exploration we decided to go across to the other side of the village and look around there. Hayfield is split i n 2 by the A624 and has 2 distinct area's. We met a couple of really friendly people and in particular this chap was just getting into his car to go fishing when we started talking to him. He told us about Park Hall Manor (Which is also in "The Village") but more interesting he told us about an abandoned swimming pool in the middle of some woods. near Little Hayfield. So that was the target we set off passing some lovely scenery and into the woods. We got to the back of Park Hall Manor first then through these magnificent woods and onto the swimming pool. It must have been staggering in its heyday, i would think used by the rich folk only.
The Secret Swimming Pool
St. Matthews Church Tower


The Pack Horse Pub

a GR postbox

Reflection of St. Matthews in the river Sett



Plaque to 4 children in the memorial garden

Hayfield war memorial


Village shops

River Sett

Geoff outside "Mr. Mannering's house"

This is where Arthur Lowe lived in Kinder Road.




This stone tablet above the entrance to the old Co op 



Ike

Rob at one of Hayfield's springs


This lady was jogging and stopped to give us some directions.

This is what Hayfield looked like in 1963 when Geoff took this pic.

Ike practising his safe cracking skills.

Wood pile for next winter.

Lovely leafy lane

Just lazing in the Sun

This old mill is now up market residential units.

Its not real

Geoff snapping the Manor

Magnificent Park Hall Manor


Deep in the woods is this abandoned swimming pool

Rob practising his diving technique 


one of the last remaining statues

Pillars of the Earth

The grounds around the pool were adorned with these pillars that at one time were topped with statues.


This is what it looked like in 1960

The woods were still covered with bluebells

The Lantern Pike which has links to Tony Warren & Pat Phoenix  of Coronation street.

Last glimpse up the valley before returning to the car.
This was a cracking little walk just over 4 miles where we met some interesting people and visited an area that even Geoff hadn't been to. The swimming pool was a great bonus to the morning.
Cheers




18 comments:

  1. Having been brought up in Hayfield in the 60/70's my memories are of the family regularly going to the Park Hall Pool and by no means were we rich. It was open to all and was fantastic. Was it cold, yes but indoor pools were beyond our means as there were seven of us in the family! I learnt to swim here and went on to represent my county.
    It would be so great to see it open again and no longer forgotten!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too was brought up in the area and most Sundays the whole family would go to Park Hall Pool. It was always sunny (or seemed to be in those days) and it was always packed. I have some treasured photographs of happy times there. I also think it would be great to see it open and thriving again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My friends and I used to go to the Park Hall Pool in the mid 1950,s.We travelled from Hyde ,on the bus...the water was very cold even in mid Summer as the pool was fed by a mountain stream.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Should it be Mr Mainwaring,s house?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Before about 1938, it was in fact a private club, I was told. Then, later, it admitted the public. My parents used to like it, and took me a few times each summer, even before 1939 (when I was 4), and occasionally in the period up to about 1950.
    Peter W.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We used to go there on Saturday afternoons in the 40s/50s. We walked from Hayfield through the middle fields. As far as I remember it cost a shilling for children and half a crown for adults. A great place and sad to see it now. I think I heard it had been wrecked in the big storm.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jim Swindells (Hyde)2 January 2016 at 17:53

    We used to call it "Hayfield Baths" and my sister's and me used to go for a day out in the early to mid 50's. The water was freezing (I believe it is fed from a spring) but it was a great day out for us kids.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I live in hayfield and had no idea this was there where is the pool and how do I walk there

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. its in little hayfield across from the pub on the road going to Glossop there is a road to the right its through them woods but got yelled at by owners when I went there

      Delete
  9. We lived in Gee Cross & used to go to Hayfield Baths (as we called it) during the summer months by bus if I remember correctly
    Had our first crazy foam battle there!!
    Would love it to re-open

    ReplyDelete
  10. the woods are national trust but the pool and hall are on private property, you shouldn’t enter these grounds as you would be trespassing! the water in the pool is stagnant and dangerous. Look from a distance and with safety.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just read about a pool in Hathersage and this brought back all my memories. I had to look it up and Bingo, my memories were correct. I lived in Stalybridge and I loved going there, cold as it was. I still love swimming in cold water and swam for Hyde Seal, good training I suppose. Nee Miller

    ReplyDelete
  12. I remember going yo the pool once 1960ish.Yes the water was freezing , I think it was fed from the hills, but it was so lovely. We lived in Manchester and it made a great day out with the pillars topped with statues and the lovely scenery all around.
    Whoever owns it now really should make it the way it was and give it plenty of publicity, I feel sure that another summer like this one and Manchester people would really love it.
    Jean Rowland

    ReplyDelete
  13. I went to Park Hall pool with my parents and friends in the 60s. I seem to remember getting the bus from Marple where we lived at that time. My husband and I stayed in Birch Vale this weekend and walked to find the pool as I was keen to see it again after 50+ years. How sad to see it so abandoned. I am sure it would attract tourists if someone would invest and open it again.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have done a amazing job with you website Zwembad plaatsen tuin

    ReplyDelete
  15. The blog and data is excellent and informative as well Zwembad plaatsen tuin

    ReplyDelete
  16. Personally I think overjoyed I discovered the blogs. Zwembad plaatsen tuin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thanks for those nice comments. Unfortunately I had a major operation 20 months ago and has left me unable to walk more than 20 yards so I can no longer get out and about like I used to.

      Delete